Friday, January 20, 2012

Cakes...



Have you seen Nacho Libre? In one scene of the movie Jack Black is singing a song to Ramses, the best wrestler in Mexico… Maybe the world. It goes something like “I am singing at the party, I am singing it’s my turn to sing, at the party. Everyone’s dancing, happy, party. But Ramses is not dancing, he does not dance at the party.” Yeah, that is pretty much the whole song… If you don’t know the song or don’t remember the tune, you should look it up on youtube or skip this next part cause it maybe kind of random but when I was in the wilderness I wrote a song for you. “I am writing on the blog-y, I am writing it’s my turn to write, on the blog-y. Everyone’s reading, happy, blog-y. But (FILL IN NAME) is not reading, he does not read Grace’s blog-y.” That’s my song. Now, on to bigger and better things…

Like I have said before, my older brother is getting married. He and his fiancée decided that I would make the wedding cake. Silly, right? I still laugh about it. Anyhows, I have been making cakes to practice my ninja like cake making skills. And I am okay at it I suppose… Three of these lovely cakes I have made stick out to me so I suppose I shall talk about the stories behind them. AKA, how I massacred them and why I think it is silly that m
y brother and his fiancée want me to make their cake, so here goes nothing…

Cake 1: For Christmas, Santa gave me a lot of cake decorating stuff. Shortly before Christmas my mother got a Cricut cake cutter that cuts gum paste and fondant and frosting sheets and other cool things so, I decided I would use all of my cool new toys and make an awe inspiring cake for Christmas. This cake actually turned out good so there really is no story behind it… But, here is a picture of my Christmas cake…


My mom put the flower thing on the top... That part was not me. Kinda silly looking, but that's okay...

This is my sister Katie. As hard as she tries, she can never seem to make what she cooks turn out right so she asked me to take a picture of her next to it so she could pretend that she made it. Kinda random, but if you know Katie you will understand. :)

Cake 2: The next cake I made was pretty cute! It was for New Years Eve and I had high hopes for it and it wasn’t quite what I planned but I liked it just the same. Anyhows, so I made this super cute cake and it ended up causing a few of my cousins to cry, but I better back up… My siblings and I are kind of pyromaniacs… Especially my one younger brother so on New Years Eve we were (AKA, he was) lighting fireworks so we were all outside watching. When we went back inside, someone had taken a spoon and had eaten part of the cake. My three cousins were horrified! Whenever the cake was left alone more and more would disappear. Many different people were accused but the three of them never caught on that my three brothers, my sister, and I had all been eating it. We decided that we needed to decide who had eaten it and put an end to it so I “interrogated” each of the children. When I announced that I had come to the conclusion that it had been the three of them who had eaten the cake they all started to cry. I am a terrible older cousin. Anyhows, I have pictures of this cake but I don’t know where my camera is at so I guess you can imagine the most awe-inspiring cake ever and pretend I made it.

Cake 3: The wedding cake that I am gonna make this spring for my brother’s wedding is pretty complex. It is a dense almond cake with apricot jam, almond meringue, frosting, and fondant so I was making a mini cake so my brother and his fiancée could try it and see if it was what they wanted so at maybe ten o’clock I started making the meringue and then the next morning it was done so that part wasn’t too bad, I just slept on the job… (Joke lang…) Anyhows, the next day I made the cake and put it all together. Each layer of the cake is supposed to be cake-jam-meringue-jam-cake and then frosted and fondantified so I was doing this but the cake wasn’t very happy. When I put the top layer of cake on, the jam kind of exploded out of the cake or the cake threw up or something but it was not very happy so I pretty much need to figure out a way to make the cake more happy and stuff. At least I have a few more months to perfect it… This sample cake had nothing special about it so I didn’t take any pictures…

So, yeah, those are some of my cake adventures. Last week I was in Provo and I had a lot of spare time so I designed a bunch of cakes and came up with fancy gourmet cupcakes and stuff so I guess I will have more cake adventures soon... Like tomorrow when I make a “half birthday” cake for my younger sister. So, I guess we will see what explodes or how many people I can cause to cry tomorrow.
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment